Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spelling Out Life... with Colonization

Yesterday I wrote the crappiest essay for sociolinguistics class about British colonization and the English language that they brought into Malaya. As I wrote on the last TORTURING page (AFTER 3 DAYS OF DREADFUL TIME!), I realized something different, at least to me of course, I wrote that:

 "This may not be a form of colonization, but viewing from the bigger picture, it actually is, the nations are in the end succumbing into a more mono-language that colonizes other minor vernacular languages, the death of a language and thus a culture."


Isn't colonization a form of control over something less powerful? Ah well, I guess I'm bounded by it as well, since I'm more fluent in English, Bahasa and Mandarin than Lun Bawang and Kelabit. I feel sad though. Look at what the world is turning us into... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just write any thoughts you have in your heart! :) Thanks for dropping by ya? XOXO